The Town of Balgonie and the Swimming Pool Board and Staff have reviewed the recent guidelines and restrictions issued by the Province of Saskatchewan in relation to safely re-opening of outdoor pool facilities.
A full review was conducted of the current protocols regarding sanitation, staffing, supervision and capacity management in our local pool. Many strategies were contemplated including:
- Setting a maximum limit to 50 participants (swimmers and parents) as per Royal Life Saving Society’s and Saskatchewan Health Agency recommendations for a pool the size of the Balgonie Pool.
- Designating each swim to 2 hours maximum during peak capacity.
- No swimming lessons.
- Adults to accompany all swimmers under 16 years of age.
- Lifeguards would provide coaching of all first aid treatments (including CPR) to adults instead of providing any first aid interventions directly.
After considerable thought of all of these potential strategies and a review of the other pool openings in the Province, there was no viable way to open the pool for the summer season.
Until such time as it is determined that the pool can be operated safely for the swimmers and the lifeguards, with full compliance of provincial requirements, it will remain closed.
Although we are not able to celebrate CANADA DAY the way that we usually do, the fantastic fireworks display will continue this year!
We would like to invite everyone out to watch the Balgonie Volunteer Fire Department set off their amazing display which will be held on July 1, 2020 at 10:30 p.m.
Due to the guidelines implemented for Covid-19 safety, the following will be implemented for our event:
- Spectators should watch from the safety of their own vehicle.
- Vehicles must be separated by 5 metres (16 ft). Parking spaces will be marked for drivers to follow.
- Individuals are required to remain inside or within arm’s reach of their vehicles and are not permitted to move to another vehicle (i.e. not to go sit with friends).
- No objects may be passed between vehicles.
- Vehicle occupants should be limited to members from the same household or extended household.
- Individuals using other modes of transportation to attend the event (walking or biking) should maintain physical distancing of 2m and join the vehicles with persons from the same household or extended household contacts as soon as they arrive. For individuals not joining a vehicle, it is expected that all physical distancing protocols will be observed.
If the parking areas at the sports grounds are full due to the spacing requirements, spectators are encouraged to use available parking along Railway Street and at the Town’s Multiplex parking lot. Drivers are expected to park in permitted parking areas only and abide by all traffic regulations.
Although we continue to be apart for these types of celebrations, we can be together in spirit.
The following is a summary of The Town of Balgonie water quality and sample submission compliance record for the June 2019 – June 2020 time period.
Due to the recent COVID-19 pandemic and until further notice the Town of Balgonie councillors will attend the upcoming council meetings electronically, or in person, while keeping with the current physical distancing requirements.
As per legislation the public is able to attend council meetings, though current restrictions on meeting sizes due to the Public Health Emergency has made attendance more challenging.
Members of the public, who wish to attend the meetings, are asked to attend the meetings remotely via GoToMeeting or telephone. Please contact the Town of Balgonie at 306-771-2284 or email [email protected] prior to the meeting to discuss available options on how to attend the meeting.