The Town is asking homeowners to work with us in avoiding unnecessary repairs to home and Town sewer (wastewater) systems by flushing only toilet paper and human waste down toilets. This will allow our limited crews to focus on the delivery of essential services and maintain social distancing guidelines.
- Flushing anything other than pee, poo, and toilet paper down the toilet can clog pipes and create sewer back-ups, which can be costly for both homeowners, neighbour’s and the Town.
- Wipes may be “flushable” but they don’t break down like toilet paper does. Toilet paper will disintegrate after it’s flushed, but so-called “flushable” wipes retain their shape and strength, causing blockages in pipes.
- For the same reason facial tissue, napkins and paper towel cannot be flushed down your toilet. They do not break down as toilet paper does, and lead to clogs and sewer back-ups.
- Wipes, paper towel and all other items used as a toilet paper alternatives should be bagged and disposed of in your garbage cart.
- Help us to help you to prevent the plug in yours and our sewer (wastewater) collection system.
Put these items in the garbage:
- Feminine hygiene products
- Wipes marked flushable (baby, facial, hand)
- Cleaning rags
- Cotton swabs/cotton balls
- Paper towels, facial tissues
- Dental floss
- Household hazardous waste