The Town is asking homeowners to work with us in avoiding unnecessary repairs to home and Town sewer (wastewater) systems by flushing only toilet paper and human waste down toilets. This will allow our limited crews to focus on the delivery of essential services and maintain social distancing guidelines.
- Flushing anything other than pee, poo, and toilet paper down the toilet can clog pipes and create sewer back-ups, which can be costly for both homeowners, neighbour’s and the Town.
- Wipes may be “flushable” but they don’t break down like toilet paper does. Toilet paper will disintegrate after it’s flushed, but so-called “flushable” wipes retain their shape and strength, causing blockages in pipes.
- For the same reason facial tissue, napkins and paper towel cannot be flushed down your toilet. They do not break down as toilet paper does, and lead to clogs and sewer back-ups.
- Wipes, paper towel and all other items used as a toilet paper alternatives should be bagged and disposed of in your garbage cart.
- Help us to help you to prevent the plug in yours and our sewer (wastewater) collection system.
Put these items in the garbage:
- Feminine hygiene products
- Wipes marked flushable (baby, facial, hand)
- Cleaning rags
- Cotton swabs/cotton balls
- Paper towels, facial tissues
- Dental floss
- Household hazardous waste
In an effort to contain the spread of COVID-19, the Town of Balgonie is taking measures to support the Province of Saskatchewan’s health orders. The situation is changing rapidly and updates will be posted on the Town’s website and the Town’s Facebook page.
During the current COVID-19 pandemic and its impact on our local community of Balgonie, Town Council has made its response to the crisis in the following ways:
- Recreation and culture facilities are closed to the public until further notice.
- Playground structures are not open to use by the public until further notice.
- Town Council meetings will be held keeping with current social distancing recommendation and the orders pertaining to attendance at meetings. At this time, the public is asked to attend remotely if you wish to participate or attend a Council Meeting. Please call our office at 306-771-2284 or email [email protected]. We will discuss your options for attending by telephone or video conference.
- The Town of Balgonie has made arrangements to ensure that the Town’s essential services continue: Water, Sewer, Transportation Services, Sanitation, Protective Services and Administration. Staff and Council are practicing social distancing, rotating schedules, virtual access and separation of employees at work sites.
- The Town office while closed to public access is still operating daily, Monday to Friday. The telephone and emails will be answered by staff. Payments will be accepted via on-line banking, cheque, or credit card by using the Plastiq “Pay Now” option on the Town’s website at www.townofbalgonie.ca. If you require your account number, please contact our office. The front lobby doors will be open during business hours for anyone wishing to drop off cheques under the office door.
- The Town Council of Balgonie has implemented discontinuation of interest and penalties on outstanding taxes and utility accounts for a period of six months. No utility accounts will be disconnected during this time period. The Town of Balgonie understands that at this time, households may be struggling to make full payments and this cancellation of interest penalties will help reduce the strain. Although utility account payments may be made for the amount and frequency which you decide, the Town appreciates the payments that are made by the due date. Interest will resume on accounts at the end of six months and will apply to the total overdue balances at that time. If you require further information on your accounts and interest penalties, please contact our office staff for assistance.
These are trying and uncertain times for our Community, Province and World. It is apparent that this crisis has impacted everyone and there will be difficult challenges ahead. The Town Council wants to commend all of the efforts that are being made in the community to protect our citizens. Your efforts to social distance and isolate from others, when required, is key to fighting the spread of the COVID-19 virus. Balgonie is continuing to show its strength and heart through the many efforts and good deeds of family, neighbours, community groups, and volunteers.
On behalf of Council,
TOWN OF BALGONIE
TUESDAY, MARCH 31, 2020
AGENDA – SPECIAL MEETING
Call to Order – 6:15 P.M.
Approval of Agenda
Declaration of Conflict
The purpose of the meeting is to discuss interest and penalty relief for Town residents due to the economic impact of the Public Health Emergency – COVID -19.
- Interest Penalty Relief for Taxation.
- Interest Penalty Relief for Utility Billing.
- Communication to Town residents regarding the Public Health Emergency and the Town of Balgonie’s response.
The Town of Balgonie will hold this meeting in the Balgonie Administration Building Council Chambers. Members of the public that wish to attend the meeting are asked to do so via remote methods. If you are interested in attending this or any future meetings of Council while there are restrictions on meeting sizes due to the Public Health Emergency, alternate arrangements will be made. Please contact the Town of Balgonie at 306-771-2284 prior to the meeting to discuss the options with Town Staff.
- ON-LINE BILL PAYMENT
Available for all major banks.
Choose: Add Payee
Search for “Balgonie” – (Town) – Utility or Tax
(please do not choose Balgonie Water that is not a town account)
Taxes – use your roll number as your account number
Utilities – use your account number located on your utility bill.
- PAY THROUGH OUR WEBSITE
On the home page, scroll all the way to the bottom of the page, on the right hand side, click on the “Pay Now” button. You will need to create an account to use this service. This will ensure that all your personal information is protected (please note that the user is responsible for all service charges).
- SEND A CHEQUE IN THE MAIL
If you do not use on-line banking, please feel free to send us a cheque in the mail.
P.O. Box 310